Thursday, November 29, 2012

Untwisted Dish: Rosemary Turkey Chowder



Yes, I roasted a whole turkey for two people on Thanksgiving. It was good, and we ate A LOT. But my main motivation for making the turkey was soup. Lots and lots of soup. Winter is coming and you know that means that one of us is going to get sick at some point. The sicky will want soup and the non-sicky will be forced to run to the nearest grocery store (mostly likely the depressing and overpriced Sunmart) to find some hideous canned concoction. It will be sooooo disappointing. 

So, I made soup. Lots of basic turkey noodle with veggies, which suits me just fine. I also decided to try something new, based on this recipe for a rosemary chicken chowder from Goodlife Eats.

First, I broke down the bird and made a basic stock with celery and carrots (I am off onions at the moment-sad but true). When I announced it was time to "break it down", there was some spontaneous Hammer dancing in the kitchen. Although, we couldn't remember many other words to "Can't Touch This".
Mmmmm Carcassy


Once Hammer Time was over and the stock was done, I added some rosemary from the garden, turkey, cannellini beans, spinach and a few other ingredients to create this flavorful twist on turkey soup.

The Ingredients

6 cups broth
2 large sprigs of rosemary
2 large potatoes, cut into cubes
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1/2 cup carrots, chopped
2 cups or so of cooked, chopped turkey
1/3 cup flour
2 cups milk
2 to 3 ounces cream cheese
1 can Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
salt and pepper or to taste
2  to 3 ounces of chopped spinach

(onion and garlic would make a nice addition and are included in the original recipe. I omitted them for my own intolerances and added some celery and carrots to hopefully boost up the flavor)

1.  In a large pot, add two sprigs rosemary, and chopped potatoes to 6 cups broth and bring to a boil.

2. Add the turkey. Turn down the heat, so that it is simmering and cook for about 30 minutes.

3. Add the flour to the milk, and add the milk concoction to the broth.

4. Add the beans and cream cheese. Turn the heat up if needed to bring it back to a boil, and then lower the heat so it maintains a simmer.

5. Cook until the potatoes are tender.

6. Add the spinach, and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes more. 

7. Remove the rosemary sprigs before serving.

Mission accomplished. Freezer is well stocked. I don't know how long it will stay that way, though. Soup is pretty good. Even when you aren't sick.

2 comments:

  1. I just caught up on your last 3 posts ... all look delicious and I love the "break it down" moment with the soup and the alternative to frozen raspberries on a winter morning :-)

    Also, our grey kitty looks very much like yours ... same hair length and those stripey cheeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie! It's fun to try something new, but I'd better not mess with the Christmas Bread this year. I might have a revolt.

      Delete